To inspire and connect souls, through borderless network of alliances, for the betterment of themselves and society
One network, World Scientific, an international publishing and distribution house which publishes some of Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew’s books and some scientific journals of Nobel Prize winners, agrees to be George’s co-publisher for his books – Scholars’ Secrets and SUCCESS Secrets.
BOOKSOUL International is the brainchild of George Tan who established the company to assume full control – and accept full responsibility – for the publication of his books. He explains:
“When I first approached publishers with my life story, they wanted to dramatize it and exaggerate certain facts. I was not comfortable with that. I wanted to be responsible for the way my books are written, as well as the way they are designed, printed, marketed, distributed and sold.
“I want to publish real life experiences – experiences that leave an imprint on the soul. By sharing real life experiences, I hope to inspire others and to spread this philosophy of ‘never say die’. BOOKSOUL International starts off with my own books but I might consider other writers in the future. My criteria is this – the stories must be real.
“When I was young, I liked to read autobiographies. During my school vacation, I would go to the library to borrow books about great leaders, like Mao Zedong, Chiang Kai Shek, Golda Meir, Josef Stalin and others. I guess BOOKSOUL carries on from where I left off back then.
“The idea of BOOKSOUL International came to me on Christmas Day 2004. I am someone who normally sleeps through the night. That day, I woke up at 3am and could not sleep. I decided to take a bath. All of a sudden, the idea came that I should start a publishing company and publish my story to share with others, to inspire them not to lose hope.
“I am a newcomer to the publishing industry, but a fast and eager learner. I consult industry veterans and whoever else is sincere about wanting to help me succeed. I have many talented and experienced people helping me.
“ I have just published my first book, Soulprints I – BreakThrough and am pleased with the results. The feedback has also been positive.
Below is an excerpt from the Acknowledgements of Soulprints I – BreakThrough, which gives a summary of how the first book arose:
The origin of this book goes back to 1996. I had a conversation with Mr TC Tan who was my ex-boss in National Semiconductor in 1987 and he encouraged me to write my life story. I started and I wrote80 pages. But, it came to an abrupt stop because I was involved in another crisis which would be part of another story. I was not in the proper frame of mind. The moment was not right. I was not ready.
In August 2004, Ruth asked me “What is your dream?” I said I want to share my tumultuous life journey with others, in the hope that they will do the same and share their life stories. We can all learn from each other and inspire each other for the betterment of ourselves. Ultimately, a critical mass of sharing and inspiring could create positive changes in society at large.
This is only my dream. But, I am not born with a writer’s genes. So where do I start?
It was the ever-helpful Professor Tommy Koh, Ambassador-at-large at the Singapore Ministry of Foreign Affairs, who got me started (again) when Ruth mentioned my dream to him and he asked for a two-page synopsis of my life story. That was on 29 September 2004. That same night, I sat down at 8pm to write my first draft and did not stop until 5 am the next morning, by which time I completed 30 pages.
For the next 10 days, I tried and tried, but could not fit my life-story into a two-page summary. In the end, I submitted an eight-page synopsis, secretly hoping that Prof Koh would pardon my long-windedness. I am deeply grateful that Prof Koh took time from his busy schedule to read those eight pages, for I know he is a very busy man wearing many other hats: Chairman of National Heritage Board, Chairman of Advisory Board of National Book Development Council, Director of Institute of Policy Studies and more that I may not be aware of.
Prof Koh then passed my synopsis to Prof Kirpal Singh, Associate Professor of English Literature and Creative Thinking at the Singapore Management University. Both of them felt it was great for me to share my story, and they asked for the manuscript.
Manuscript! It was not supposed to be part of a dream! All I had wanted to do was to tell my story, not ‘script’ it. But, I did not want to disappoint the two highly-respected professors. I decided to give myself a second chance to write my story. Eight years after my aborted attempt, I decided to take it as a challenge. There was no turning back.
Fortunately for me, Prof Singh is well-respected in literary circles for nurturing writers. I began to meet the ever-encouraging Prof Singh more and more frequently. I began to learn, from scratch, about writing, writers and the literary world.
My original intention was to write one book. Prof Singh encouraged me to write a series of books as he found my rocky life journey to be colourful and eventful. We explored various possibilities: docufiction (semi-autobiography), autobiography, English Literature, movie script, etc. He challenged me to think big and to think outside the box. His encouragement sowed the seeds for my dream to touch the hearts of many in the old frontiers, new frontiers and lost frontiers.
Along the way, I met many more mentors, many more dear friends. In particular, I am touched by those who sincerely shared their writing experiences and advice. I have drawn great inspiration from their extraordinary character and courage displayed through their life journeys.
I am indebted to the encouragement of international best-selling authors, top motivational speakers and prominent personalities:
- Dr Vivan Balakrishnan, Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports
- Sat Pal Khattar, Chairman of Khattar Holdings
- Ang Wee Hiong CEO/Principal of Hwa Chong Institution
- Brian Tracy, international speaker and best-selling author of Million Dollars Habit
- Dr Tony Alessandra, CSP, CPAE, Chairman of the Board of BrainX, a best-selling author of The Platinum Rule,exclusive Speaker Hall of Fame and one oftop 20 motivational speakers in the world
- Mark Sanborn CSP, CPAE, President of Sanborn & Associates, member of Speakers Roundtable, consisting of 20 of the World’s foremost motivational speakers,professional speakers and keynote speakers, member of the exclusive speaker Hall of Fame and best-selling author of The Fred Factor
- Patricia Fripp, CSP, CPAE, Past President of the National Speakers Association, best-selling author of Get What You Want, member of exclusive Speaker Hall of Fame and top 20 motivational speakers in the world
- Jim Cathcart, CSP, CPAE, best-selling author of Relationship Selling, member of exclusive Speaker Hall of Fame and one of 20 top motivational speakers in the world
- Roger Crawford, CPAE, member of the exclusive Speakers Roundtable, one of the top 20 motivational speakers in the world and best-selling of How High Can You Bounce?
- Michael Aun, CSP, CPAE, Speaker Hall of Fame, Writer of ‘Behind the Mike’, a column syndicated in some 60 American newspapers and periodicals for over a quarter century, author of four books, including The Toastmasters International Guide toSuccessful Speaking
- Roy E. Goodman, Curator of Printed Materials, American Philosophical Society, Pennsylvania and President, Friends of Franklin, Inc
- Ralph Archbold, the official ‘living Benjamin Franklin’; member of US Federal Commission appointed by President George W. Bush and Congress to oversee the celebrations of Benjamin Franklin’s 300th Birthday; multiple award winning actor and public speaker, Council of Peers Award of Excellence (CPAE, Speaker's Hall of Fame) awarded by the National Speakers Association
- Catherine De Vrye, Australian Executive Woman of the year and best-selling author of Good Service is Good Business
- Patricia A Ball, CPAE (Council of Peers Award for Excellence) Speaker Hall of Fame and best-selling author of the audio album, Honing Your Presentation Skills
- Mike Schlappi, four time US Olympic Medalist and two time World Champion in wheelchair basketball and best-selling author of Bulletproof Principles for Personal Success
- J. Margaret Paul, Ph.D., co-author of Do I Have To Give Up Me To Be Loved By You? And Healing Your Aloneness and best-selling author of Inner Bonding and Do I Have To Give Up Me To be Loved By God?
- Allen Klein, President of the Assn. for Applied & Therapeutic Humor, best-selling author of The Healing Power of Humor and The Courage of Laugh
- Brian Biro, Transformational Leadership Coach & Best-selling author of Beyond Success
- Joe Girard, World’s Greatest Salesperson, attested by the Guinness Book of World Records and best-selling author of How To Sell Anything To Anybody
- Anne Bruce, Life Coach, Professional Speaker and Best-selling Author of Discover True North: A 4-Week Approach to Ignite Your Passion and Activate Your Potential
- Aliza Pilar Sherman, Award winning author of Power Tools for Women in Business and web pioneer named by Newsweek magazine as one of the "Top 50 People Who Matter Most on the Internet"
- Danielle Kennedy, “The Ambassador of Free Enterprise”, top sales trainer and best-selling author of Seven Figure Selling
- Joan Brock, Author of More Than Meets the Eye which was made into a NBC television movie in 2003
- John Amatt, Everest Expedition Leader and best-selling author of Straight to the Top and Beyond
- Vicki de Prazer, Australian Olympic Team psychologist 1996, 2000, 2004
- Michael McGrath , Executive Director and Co-founder of The Muscle Help Foundation
- Mort Crim, Creator and host of the award winning radio series, Second Thoughts, author of Second Thoughts: One Hundred Upbeat Messages for Beat-Up Americans
- Maggie Dent, self-esteem counsellor and best-selling author of Saving Our Children from Our Chaotic World
- Edward Horrell, columnist, speaker, radio host and best-selling author of More Than Words
- Ray Wiseman, biographer, columnist, speaker and best-selling author of A Difficult Passage
- Janie Jasin, CSP Speaker and author of The Littlest Christmas Tree
- John Boe, award winning sales trainer and contributing author of the best-seller of Mission Possible
- Tracy Lyn, parenting expert and best-selling author of Mom Management
- Jeff Keller, best-selling author of Attitude is Everything and President of Attitude is Everything, Inc
- Rebecca L. Morgan, people-productivity expert, best-selling author of Using Gimmicks, Games and Gizmos to Enhance , CSP (Certified Speaking Professional) and CMC (Certified Management Consultant)
- Frank Mckinney, best-selling author of Make it BIG! and Frank McKinney's Maverick Approach To Real Estate Success
- Jim Donovan, best-selling author of Handbook to a Happier Life
- Sharif Khan, best-selling author of Psychology of the Hero Soul
- Keith Abraham, best-selling author of Living Your Passion & Creating Loyal Profitable Customers , CSP and international conference speaker
- Dorothy Leeds, best-selling author of The 7 Powers of Questions and PowerSpeak , founder of Theater for Learning, and performer of Good Lessons from Bad Women
- Richard Denny, best-selling author of Succeed for Yourself and top motivational speaker
- James Clemens, best-selling author of Shadow Fall: Book One of The God Slayer Chronicles
- Joe Piscatella, best-selling author of The Road To Heart Health Runs Through The Kitchen
- Willie Jolley, best-selling author ofIt Only Takes A Minute To Change Your Lifeand A Setback Is A Setup For A Comeback!
- Dr. John F. Demartini, best-selling author of The Breakthrough Experience – A Revolutionary New Approach to Personal Transformation
- Hal Becker, best-selling author of Lip Service
- Kurt Kilpatrick, JD, CSP, CPAE, professional motivational speaker, humourist and radio talk show host
- David Freemantle, best-selling author of The BUZZ and The BIZ
- Prof Woo Cheng Hsiang, Vice President (Research), Nanyang Technological University Ltd
- Prof Steven Miller, Dean, School of Information Systems Ltd
- Prof Kirpal Singh, academic, writer, critic and educationalist, author of Thinking Hats & Coloured Turbans: Creativity Across Cultures
- Dr Thomas (Thom) A. Lisk, BA, LHD, C SE, author of Noble Leadership
- Rev Dr John L. Clements, international speaker and success coach,author of Fruitful Prospects and Excellence Becomes YOU
- Dr Tan Ern-Ser, sociologist, educator and survey consultant
- Dr Teo Chin Chin, Scientist
- R. Ramachandran, Chief Executive of National Book Development Council of Singapore
- TC Tan, Vice President, Human Resource Management, Asia Pacific,Philips Electronics (Singapore)
- Adrian Wong, Director (Asia Pacific), Exel Singapore Pte Ltd
- Ruth Chan, Regional Human Resource Manager, Chevron Phillips Chemicals Asia Pte Ltd
- Ho Ming Heng, Deputy Managing Director and Regional Director of Operations (Asia), Aviva Asia Pte Ltd
- Charles Png, NUS High School of Mathematics and Science, Singapore
- Kevin Hogan, author of The Science of Influence
- Barry Maher, author of Filling the Glass: The Skeptic’s Guide to Positive Thinking